Commenting following the Prime Minister's statement on Leaving the European Union, Anna Soubry MP said:
"All of us, as individual Members of Parliament and as The Independent Group, have always said that the Government must take no-deal off the table, and apply for an extension of Article 50.
"Running down the clock is dangerous and irresponsible, leaving businesses and families none the wiser as to whether or not to expect travel delays, medicine shortages or food supply disruption. The Government’s approach is completely unacceptable.
"Labour continues to be deliberately ambiguous on a People’s Vote. While their language sounds more positive, they will still not commit to when and how to deliver a People’s Vote on the final Brexit deal – preferring to say ‘if it somehow does pass in some form at a later stage’. It is a hollow promise.
"The statements by both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition today show nothing has changed when it comes to our broken politics. The main parties are divided, lack coherence and are failing to provide the leadership our country needs. Our broken politics is driving us to the cliff-edge of a no-deal Brexit in 31 days, and it needs to change."
For further information or media bids please contact:
Stuart Macnaughtan on 07930 164 897 or [email protected]
Rob Newman on 07769 934 008 or [email protected]
Notes to editors
- Anna Soubry MP is the Member of Parliament for Broxtowe. She is a founding member of the People’s Vote campaign for a referendum on the Brexit deal. She sits on both the Women & Equalities and Work & Pensions Select Committees of the House of Commons.
- The are 31 calendar days, and 20 parliamentary sitting days, until the legislated day for Brexit on 29 March 2019.
- In the House of Commons today, in his response to the Prime Minister's statement, Jeremy Corbyn said: "We cannot risk our country’s industry and people’s livelihoods and so if it somehow does pass in some form at a later stage, we believe there must be a confirmatory public vote". This can be watched on the ParliamentLive.tv website here: https://goo.gl/BxQVF7
- More information on The Independent Group is available at our website:
- You can follow The Independent Group on Twitter: @TheIndGroup